Thursday, August 28, 2008

Lunch in the Yard

I like to eat lunch in the yard when it's warm enough; this is one of the rewards of retirement. It's certainly warm enough today - the Google weather gadget says 92 degrees, although that's probably at the airport with all the concrete. To show you why I like to have lunch in the yard, here's what I see when I sit under the patio umbrella:

It's a small green jungle out there, and very pleasant.

This week, though, it's a little less pleasant than usual, and not because of the heat. Earlier this week we had a nocturnal visit from one of the local skunks.

I don't know what pissed the skunk off, but pissed he was, and he sprayed our driveway thoroughly, just around the corner of the house from the garden. This was I think Monday night, 3 days ago - I remember getting up in the middle of the night and thinking, "What is that smell??" I actually went downstairs to see if anything seemed to be smouldering; nothing but the smell. The next morning Jim went out and reported that it seemed to be strongest right next to our neighbor's chimney base, so that was the scene of whatever happened.

So we have an experiment in progress - how long does it take a full skunk spray to wear off?? Believe me - 3 days is not enough.

1 comment:

  1. Skunks, at least in our experience, are most active on warm Summer evenings. They traipse through at 1 or 2 in the morning, leaving their territorial markings. These usually wear off after a few hours. If it persists, they may have had the occasion to give the local cat or dog a good dose before moving on. Peeing on your enemy seems to have a potent lineage. The Japanese warrior would pee on his vanquished foe as a dominance statement.

    ReplyDelete