Saturday, October 07, 2006

Gazanias

My husband divided the gazanias in the front yard yesterday. He planted them about 3 years ago, and if you don't divide them, they get leggy. Gazanias do well in the front yard; they're showy, reliable bloomers that don't mind if you only water them once a month.

We've been in the house for 20 years now, and we've only had gazanias for about 3 years. Why? Because gazanias aren't cold hardy. They die in a hard freeze. During the first 10 years we lived here, we had regular hard freezes - I still remember the time the water in the bird bath froze solid, all the way through; and the time I looked at the back of the East Bay Hills, from my office in Concord, California, and saw them covered with snow (I think down to 1,500 feet). We haven't had a hard freeze since I think 1998.

Can't be global warming. That's just a theory. Or so they say.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous1:56 AM

    During the same time frame that you mention - twenty years or so - we've had a couple of hybrid tea rosebushes survive in Otter River, something that never happened before.

    ReplyDelete