Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Success!

It's always a pleasure to finish something you've been building, try it out, and have it work the first time. (Given the amount of testing I did on the thing, "the first time" is a little misleading here.)

For the last 7-8 months, I've been rebuilding a web site - the bookstore at the site lifering.com, which is the eCommerce arm of LifeRing Secular Recovery. This is the group that has helped my husband stay clean and sober; and the web site sells their small list of publications, and is one of their sources of income. The organization wanted to move it to a different hosting company and to a different "platform" (different set of management tools) - so instead of just calling the new hosting company and saying, haul it over (which takes about 3 days), I had to rebuild it from scratch using a new set of tools (ZenCart, an open source shopping cart) to make it do all the things it used to do.

Last Friday, I renamed it and "brought it live" - until then, people going to lifering.com went to the old site. Now it's up and running and working, and I'm astoundingly pleased with myself. We toasted my success in Calistoga water, Saturday night. I've learned a great deal, and enjoyed it; but I was really spending a lot of time on it (one reason I've been blogging less), and I keep reminding myself, I don't have to work on the web site today... (Don't worry, I'll find something else to do.)

No comments:

Post a Comment